Table of contents:
Video: Go Sedgwick: I Seduced Andy Warhol - Quality Of Life, Reviews
I seduced Andy Warhol
- USA, 2006
- Director: George Hickenlooper
- Starring: Sienna Miller, Guy Pearce and others.
A biopic starring Idi Sedgwick. The daughter of a millionaire, a bohemian party girl, she was a muse and friend of the famous Andy Warhol, starred in several of his films. Millions of women have imitated Idie Sedgwick, copied her style and lost weight. She had a diminutive physique and was rumored to have anorexia. But drug addiction first put an end to Idi's cinematic career, and then her life. The girl at that time was 27 years old.
The film shows us that part of Idi's life that was associated with Andy Warhol, and he became one of the main characters in the motion picture. Whether there was a love affair between them is doubtful, there is no documentary evidence (unlike Warhol's highly publicized homosexual novels). But without a doubt, there was a close psychological connection and mutual influence between them.
Sienna Miller's talented acting work very realistically shows the viewer a gradual degradation due to drug use: bodily and psychological. And the filmmakers make you wonder: who is to blame for the tragedy?
Who is guilty?
"Who is guilty?" - not only "favorite Russian question". In any dysfunctional system, the search for the guilty begins, while in the healthy system, the search and correction of the causes of the problem is under way.
The dysfunctional system is remarkably described by the American psychologist S. Karpman (by the way, having Russian roots) in the model “Victim-Persecutor-Rescuer”. It is commonly referred to as the Karpman Dramatic Triangle.
The dysfunctional system is unhappy, the role of the Victim appears in it, the Rescuer begins to save the Victim, looking for the Persecutor (Aggressor) who offended the Victim. It is this triangle that unfolds in the film. It is essentially a search for the Persecutor - who is to blame for Go's addiction?
Various candidates are nominated for the role of the Persecutor. This is Andy Warhol himself, who encouraged her bohemian lifestyle and "weirdness" - shocking, attracting more and more fans. According to several experts, Warhol suffered from schizophrenia. And then Idi could be “induced into madness,” as happens to the loved ones of those who suffer from a psychiatric disorder.
There is a line of relationship between Go and her father: according to the heroine, her father repeatedly sexually harassed her in childhood. Only they knew the truth.
Or maybe the tragedy of her suicide brother is to blame?
Another candidate for the "guilty" is the singer Bob, who ditched Go. His prototype was clearly Bob Dylan, and the singer himself greeted the film negatively, accusing the creators of slander and distortion of events. According to the singer, it was not he who was in a sexual relationship with Idi, but their mutual friend. However, the then "creative bohemia" was free to treat both sex and drugs, so it is hardly possible to restore who was in what relationship with whom.
Of course, her drug dealers encouraged her addiction. And the "parasitic" environment, counting on gifts and actually robbing the girl, who was increasingly losing touch with reality.
What to do?
But looking for people to blame for drug addiction is not constructive. It doesn't change anything. More important is the question "What to do?"
First, a complex set of causes leads to the development of chemical dependence.
There is such a model - BPSD, which takes into account four factors of addiction development at once:
- b iological (heredity);
- n sihologichesky (psychological stress, trauma);
- with otsialny (provocation from the environment);
- d ear (loss of oneself and the meaning of life).
Any of them can play a key role.
Secondly, if we look for the guilty Aggressor, we will remove responsibility from the Victim. The addict knows that drugs are not vitamins, they are harmful and dangerous. And if he starts to use, he knows what he is doing. Goe volunteered to use drugs and alcohol as an adult. For her, at first it was part of a bohemian lifestyle, an experiment, and then the negative consequences began.
The 12 Step community has a great slogan:
We are not to blame for our illness, but are responsible for our recovery
What to do and whether to do - everyone chooses for himself.
What to do if you or your loved one became addicted to alcohol, drugs?
Recognize that it is an illness and seek professional help: medical and psychological.
1. A narcologist will help you get through the stage of acute abstinence. This can be done at public or private detox offices. And you can also call a drug addiction doctor at home.
2. Further, deep psychological changes are needed, otherwise the desire to use will not disappear anywhere
Where and how can I get help?
- 1. There are psychological groups for addicts - outpatient treatment. At state institutions (research institutes of narcology, drug treatment dispensaries) and at private rehabilitation centers. And similar groups for codependents - relatives and partners of addicts. Likewise - public and private.
- 2. Inpatient treatment is the most effective option because it involves isolation and lack of access to psychoactive substances. During the hospital stay, intensive work is carried out with a psychologist. The optimal hospital stay is three months. Now there are a large number of rehabilitation centers throughout Russia with branches in other countries.
- 3. There is a variant of individual work with a psychologist. It is important that not only the addict himself receives it, but also the closest family members.
- 4. The "12 steps" program has proven its effectiveness. Groups of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous work on it (there are other groups for other types of addiction). They are free, open, and are held in different districts of Moscow and in other cities. The schedule is easy to find on the Internet. By analogy, 12-step groups have been created for relatives of addicts: Al-Anon, Nar-Anon. They are just as free, open, there are quite a large number of them throughout Russia.
Addiction is a misfortune that can come to any family. But what to do with it, everyone decides for himself.